Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Bad mothering



Thea has been caught drinking out of Owee's water bowl. I am certainly to regret this, but after judging her determination, I gave her a bowl of her own water set on the floor, just like a dog. She has never drank so much water, nor so happily!

Clark has reservations, of course, as any decent parent would. He isn't sure we should be encouraging this behavior, to which I say CHILL, SHE WON'T BE GRADUATING FROM HIGH SCHOOL DRINKING FROM A DOG BOWL. This is my standard assessment tool. Will she be sleeping in our bed when she graduates from high school? Peeing on the floor, less that three feet away from the potty when she graduates from high school? Chewing up food and intentionally letting it dribble down her chin when she graduates from high school? Writing incomplete sentences when she graduates from high school? (probably) If the answers is "no," or at least "probably not," I am going to pass on causing myself undue stress.



With regards to this current problem/solution, I wonder if I am lazy, callous, reckless, lacking imagination -- or all those things. I don't want to fight with this very determined little dog-bowl drinker, and besides, with her own (clean) water bowl how bad can it be? At least she won't be drinking cat poop backwash. As a matter of previous instruction, we have not been able stop her from drinking her bathwater even when she repeatedly gets an uncomfortable soapy snort up her nose.... and kids, they all get bonked now and again and certainly ingest disgusting things. Right? Besides, I am a little ashamed to say, it may be that I am slightly amused by this behavior.

This is going to come back on me, right? All over the internet infants expire in a teaspoon of water and discussion boards are alive with the virtue of boiling water for anything that might touch a mother's child. Meanwhile, I'm teaching mine to drink like a dog. Will she get worms, assuming all dog bowls are drinking vessels? Is she going to do this at the family reunion? Probably. I'm steeling myself for the humiliation.





----------------



Speaking of dogs -- Owee ran his first post-surgery 5k the other day. I should knit a leg warmer for his drumstick, something to keep him warm through this frigid spring, till the hair grows back.

10 comments:

Don said...

Baby bowls and drumsticks. *I* think you're the best mom. The best make it up as they go, you know, armed with good intentions intermixed irrevocably with an inexplicable wisdom.

someone said...

Can I come to the family reunion?

And, is the bowl made of BPA? or BFA or BFD or whatever the bad plastic waterbottles are?

Well, at least I know what to get her for her second birthday.

eclectic said...

How great is it that you gave her a clean water bowl of her own?? I think it's brilliant! I beat my head against the wall trying to remember to move Sydney's bowl up off the floor whenever the kids were awake, forgetting betimes and consequently having to mop up my dog-slobbered error while comforting a bereft and howlingly disappointed toddler. Your way is FAR superior! With her own bowl, Thea will quickly master whatever element of hydrodynamics/hydration/biomechanics is intriguing her, and then, becoming bored, move naturally away from a fascination with Owen's water bowl on to more enticing things.

eclectic said...

Also, Owen looks super! And happy!

asha said...

Brilliant compromise. She's happy. You're happy. Owee is happy. Clark? Not so happy but he will be change his tune when she discovers the toilet bowl.

Iron Fist said...

You are giving her a great gift. I wish I had the personal confidence to drink from a bowl. (Other than to drink an oversize margarita.)

Kristiana said...

This is great! You guys make me feel like I can actually survive parenting. Whew. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your comments.

Roy said...

There is nothing like the immune system of a little kid. I think you're good.

Paula said...

"They" say now that kids are too overprotected from germs, so this is probably a good thing in the long run, plus it's cute!! :)

g said...

Haha that's really cute and harmless. Maybe shes going trough a canine behavior phase. Keep her away from the litter box.

Archives

About Me