Friday, October 29, 2010

I have some free time built into my schedule today, but not enough time to do anything or go anywhere off the trail between campuses. So I'm here, brushing crumbs off the cushions in the hallways and looking at enthusiastic student art of dubious quality.



The weather got me wrong again. Last night was so cold and wet when I wore a thin sweatshirt to the concrete campus on the windy hill. I swore today I would dress smarter but it turns out today isn't parka weather. Last night was. I historically have bad winter coating habits, often look out the window into a horizontal torrent and accordingly select comfy light-weight sleeves that served me well all summer long. This is my tendency my friend Sascha often points out, poking me maliciously, with her actual finger. She called me yesterday is perhaps the only reason I tried to dress appropriately today. And it backfired.

It was very nice to talk to her. Most of my friendships are mostly theoretical these days. This probably sounds sad. It is, I guess.



Anyway, pumpkins.

7 comments:

asha said...

Wonderful pumpkins! Tops! Very theatrical. Guaranteed to scare and delight all ghosts, goblins and lady bugs in the vicinity.

Excellent photo too.

Don said...

Whether or not sad, friendships seemingly theoretical are the lot of young parents, at least as I knew them, and I knew two very well, being one of those two myself.

The pumpkins are Calvinesque. Has anyone yet earned a doctorate in psychology studying the faces people give their pumpkins?

Kristiana said...

They are rather calvinesque, aren't they, yes. Or even Tim Burton-esque i guess. As far as psychologically deeper meaning, the wide eyed pumpkin had developed an ever-expanding circle of softening (rot) that could only be worked around if (it were) and after (it was) removed. I guess, however, that that is about as revealing a thing as could be said about any imperfect person and/or pumpkin. In that case, I'm still carving away.

Roy said...

Most of my friendships are mostly theoretical these days.

Me, too. At least you have an excuse.

Kristiana said...

i suppose...

eclectic said...

I love carved pumpkins! I hate carving them though. What a conundrum I am.

Kristiana said...

They are kind of a pain in the ass. I slashed my palm and bled all over when I was carving

Archives

About Me