Saturday, October 30, 2010

On Pumpkin Smashing

I don't want anybody to come and smash my pumpkins. There was smashed pumpkin on the street outside today and I almost, briefly, thought about bringing my jack-o-lanterns in for the night but that is a fundamental contradiction to the spirit of carved-pumpkinry, isn't it?

These ones this year matter to me a lot. Just like everything, Halloween has been recast in light of Thea. So yes, I do not want them to become ex-pumpkin street slime at the hands of our local turdface teenagers. However, these pumkins are also being crawled over and through by both slugs and perhaps a couple of ants, and THAT is just gruesome enough to say: leave them outside of the house, no matter the peril. Slugs! are crawling in! and out! of my pumpkin mouths! and pumpkin eyeballs! Agh!

8 comments:

Roy said...

Oh, gross. I say, smash'em.

Kristiana said...

totally gross.

Don said...

I have it on good authority that many a pumpkicidal teenager has grown into a turdface-hating parent with children with pumpkins of their own who regrets deeply the pain he inflicted on someone else's children back in 1970.

Kristiana said...

I had a feeling....

Honestly, I can't remember if I ever smashed a pumpkin. I don't think I ever did but if I did, I was probably just trying to fit in.

eclectic said...

I never smashed a pumpkin. But then, I was never allowed to celebrate Halloween. As a result, or perhaps not a result, we hang lights, put 6 sculpted pumpkins out front with candles, festoon the house with all manner of orange, black & purple froofery, and buy countless pounds of candy to give out indiscriminately by the handful, thereby hoping to encourage trick-or-treaters to stop by for many years to come. I've never yet had a pumpkin smashed, either. We'll see how I feel about the holiday when it happens.

Kristiana said...

Hope it never happens to any of your six pumpkins.

Roy said...

I never smashed a pumpkin. Actually, never even heard of it until I was way too old to risk it. I did, however, take extra handfuls of candy in those cases where a big bowl was set out with a note saying they were watching us . . . because they weren't home, and everyone knew it, but that was just a theory and everyone else was too chicken to test it. I'm not proud of that, but, hey, I did get more candy that way.

Kristiana said...

Aren't you just Inviting gluttony when you leave the entire stash out for kids help themselves to on the honor system? Next time I can't tend to the candy bowl I'm going to setup a camera, just to see if it's presence changes behavior.

Archives

About Me