Thursday, July 15, 2010

Runaway Artist

There is an unbelievable lull in the day just now, without work, baby or other distractions. She is napping, I think. Sometimes she wakes up and chatters quietly to herself and then I might not immediately know that she is awake. More often she wakes up at full speed. But for the rightnow everything is quiet and I have a moment to myself.

Lately I'm casting about for a little bit of independence, just enough to tend to living. Still, sometimes when I stand up and walk around the house to oh, eat food, brush hair, have a chore - whatever - she becomes insanely needy. Anytime I am not enraptured with her, really. That's funny, because my drive to do most things seemingly not Thea-centric are mostly still Thea-centric most often motivated out of deep and compulsive need to tend to her, to provide her with things like clean floors and clean clothes. For Thea, that is unacceptably not Thea nibbling rapture and she really wont have it.

Unlike that is the same child who runs away as best she can, which isn't yet a worrisome labor. I mean, our pace ratio is significantly in my favor for at least now. Her running gait is a sort of swaying goose-step panting-huffle and she breaks into it when clothing is attempted, doors are left ajar, or anytime she is unleashed in the wide open. Also in the direction of pets.

Today I took her and Owen to the church yard a block away to throw the ball and she kept walking determinedly down the alley walk, away. She never once looked back. I am pretty certain, and am likely to perform experiments of stealth to confirm, that she would have just kept going if I hadn't run and collared her. I'm pretty sure she would just keep walking away.

getaway artist
Just me and my ball chucker

DO YOU THINK SHE COULD WALK FIVE MILES my husband joked when I told him. He doesn't think this is something with roots. He takes things for what they seem. For me, GOD it represents everything. Like everything does.
.
.

8 comments:

eclectic said...

Oh, she will walk away. Not far for now... but give it 16 years or so.

I'm really struggling with it, watching mine wander farther & farther now. I miss her so much some times, and she's not even gone yet. When she leaves for college (in two more years!), I will triumph at having launched a beautiful being into the world, but a tiny part of me may never recover.

Roy said...

I remember (very vaguely) that for human babies there is a set distance, a comfort zone, for them that they automatically won't go beyond if left to their own devices. But it was a long ways--I think it was at least several hundred feet. This is not really a good survival mechanism in most modern cities and suburbs.

Oh. Here. I've found it.

http://tinyurl.com/2drtcpm

I think you're such a good mom, that baby T is confident that she can explore and knows she is safe.

Kristiana said...

Both of your comments were sweet, and brought tears to my eyes. When we first brought Thea home from the hospital I was so all over the place with the emotions and the hormones and whatevers that I got all weepy because she was growing up so fast. Ridiculous! I know! It became a joke between Clark and I to look at each other and say I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE IS GOING TO BE GRADUATING TOMORROW! Still, everytime I say it I feel a twinge.

Roy, that makes perfect sense of course. Too bad about roads. Still, I swear she does have a minimum saving grace of sense. The other day I left the door that leads upstairs open without realizing it, yikes. She stood there at the bottom of the stairs looking up and calling for me until I came. It seemed like she knew she wasn't supposed to be there. For whatever reason she didn't ascend to her certain demise, I am grateful.

asha said...

I tested that Baby Comfort Zone theory when you were a toddler. I was sure you would not want to go too far but I wanted to see just how far too far was. I nearly had a heart attack when too far became toooooooo far and then waAAAy too, OMG TOOOOOOOOOO FAAAAAAAAR. In a single bound, I leapt across the park, the sidewalk and over a line of parked cars just in time to grab you up out of the street as you made your way into the first lane, on your way to the OTHER SIDE. Oh man, did I ever kick myself for that little experiment.

Roy said...

I saw that in my own child at that age. It's funny. It's as if they know they are incapable of resisting the temptation, and they don't really want to get in trouble . . . of course there are those times that they don't care.

Don said...

We must explore. I'll never forget when K was two or three and it took me ten heart attack minutes to find him on some hidden stairs that lead down to the small beach in Pacific Grove where we only intended to stop for lunch. He was well within 200' but he couldn't see us (nor us him) and so far as I know, no, didn't care.

Kristiana said...

yikes! sounds like recurring nightmare material

someone said...

I still don't get people who use leashes on their children.

Makes sense you'd birth a runner, tho.

Archives

About Me