Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Play group

Thea and I went to the Portland Children's Museum today for Dance Together, a chaotic scarf-waving toddler class, the last of four sessions which we paid for months ago and were never able to attend until today... haha they have a cancellation/refund policy that I didn't bother to look at until just now... um, anyway, Thea peed her pants and I didn't check the diaper bag before we left so I didn't notice that there was not a change of clothes in there like there has been everysingleday for her whole freakin life. I have been hauling around a hulkinghuge bag packed for every possible contingency none of which were ever realized until today. That is probably not exactly true. Still.

Instructing toddlers is the height of futility so really, the parents (the moms actually because really, in the infant massage classes, and new moms groups and Tiny Tots at the library and MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) at the park, and Science Tots... all these baby group attenders are moms at a ratio of 10:1, with the one in ten dad being a sorta oversensitive stay-at-home sissy type HAHAHA JUST KIDDING!) anyway, the moms are dancing around trying to demonstrate nose-touching and hand clapping and the babies are like YOUAREFREAKINGMEOUT JUST PICK ME UP PLZ.

Sometimes they hit each other, sometimes they scream and run in circles, they put whatever they can in their mouths and often they spend some time just staring at the overly enthusiastic group leader. Once and awhile they try to bite her talking puppet hand. ANYWAY, Thea gawked and gamely held onto a FOAM DANCING NOODLE, but by the middle of it was overstimulated and refused to be put down. I can oblige a little baby pee so I just held her on my hip as we hopped on rubber squares and choo-choo followed-the-leader.

Then, because we skipped nap time to attend she was in a foul little mood and chased Owen around beating him with the green and sliver pinwheel that I bought her as we were leaving, which I swear is the exactly same toy it was when I was a kid. Poor Owen. I usually make him sit and take her attentions because she gets such a kick out of him scampering away, and dude, I can't think of anything more dangerous then a kid determined to chase down and torture a dog that towers over her. So Owen takes the petting, terribly put-out about it, but without his histrionics the fun is ruined for Thea, which is my job I guess and she wanders off to stuff the mail slot with tupperware lids. Except when she actually hits then hotdamn she gets scooped up by her armpits and deposited into a minute long timeout purgatory. Even for a fairly painless pinwheel beating.

That is what I did today. Plus laundry, a sassy lentil-barley soup and six miles in the afternoon heat.

12 comments:

nina said...

Great description of playgroups! I'm looking forward to your post when she's in kindergarten! Oh, the enthusiasm we plaster on our faces for these activities in the hope that 1. the kid will learn something, 2. will smile and be happy. My older one was dubious and would not willingly join in until... well, for a long long time in her young life. My younger one, too, first watched and did this calculus: will I make a fool of myself if I participate? Sometimes she reasoned -- yes, sometimes -- no. But you could always see her thinking it through. Me, I probably just plunged recklessly into whatever and then suffered the consequences.

It's so good to see you writing more. I miss your wit when you're away from blogging.

Kristiana said...

i'm a little mystified about what exactly i expect to get from these groups. socializing, i guess, for Thea, and for me. i never knew motherhood was so lonely!

i'm trying to write more. i'm glad you care that i do!

Roy said...

I didn't know lentil soup existed until I got some at a Mediterranean restaurant a few months ago. Man, was it good. Spicier than pea soup, which it reminded me of, but possibly better. I would like to go there just for the soup and some basmati rice & saffron, but I always have to get that with a bunch of stuff I don't really want, then I wind up eating too much.

Kristiana said...

man, you've been in a lentil soup deficit your whole life?? damn. lentils are hearty and flavorful and make a fine soup.

Roy said...

It's worse than you think: I CAN'T FIND GOOD SOUR DOUGH BREAD HERE. (or any, most of the time)

Kristiana said...

geez, what do you eat out there? i recently heard a story on NPR about spices and they were saying foods like yogurt, pomegranate and cumin were exotic and new and i was like WHAAA? TO WHO? WHERE? you come out here roy, we know all about eating here.

Don said...

Indeed. I would die without sourdough. In fact I just had a bitchin sourdough samminch a few minutes ago. My mom used to make lentil soup, we're talking early 70s just before she got into chard.

asha said...

That's a lot for one day. HUGE. Plus a six mile run in the afternoon swelter? HEROIC. Dance Together sounds positively mad. Where are the photos? Need photos! And soup. Mmmmmm.... tasty soup. Too bad blogs don't double as vending machines.

My sympathies to Owen. Good thing you are his Protectorate. The poor guy had the perfect life... all love and fetch... then the ppinwheel wielding new Puppy came along and turned his little world upside down.

Kristiana said...

Yes, the new puppy is a mommy-hogging menace

eclectic said...

"...the fun is ruined for Thea, which is my job I guess...". Heh. Welcome, Padewan Learner. You have just become a Jedi.

I grew up a vegetarian. My husband grew up on meat & potatoes. I've learned to eat steak, and he's learned to eat lentils. It's one of my greatest accomplishments. ;)

Also, I'm to be in your area this weekend. Any chance of meeting up?

Kristiana said...

Having also been raised vegetarian, I've had a similar exchange with my husband, though I doubt I will ever learn to appreciate a steak like he does.

I would love to meet up this weekend but it will have to be Saturday morning. I am flying to Montana early Sunday morning and so I've scheduled myself for a frantic chaotic packing session Saturday afternoon.

someone said...

Have fun in Montana. Best to Anita and John. So glad to see you string some words together. Play groups, like dog parks, birthed from the isolation of our modern world. Play is good.

Archives

About Me