Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Owen: week three

OH MAMA PLEASEPLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME IN THIS WARM SAFE KITCHEN FULL OF CLEAN COZY BEDDING AND DOG TOYS AND FRESH WATER AND NUTRITIOUS KIBBLETS OH PLEEEEEASE MAMA, PLEEEEASE DON'T LEAVE MEEEEEE!



Owen is not happy about the baby gate. He is very very not happy and he breaks hearts all up and down the block every time I swing even one leg across as if to leave. The secret, I have found, is to tire him out with tireless affection which I do, then I sneak away and do selfish stuff like brush my hair while he naps.

To our great good fortune my work schedule this term generally permits me to come home every few hours most days of the week, and when I am unable Clark usually is able to come home for lunch so that Owen is rarely alone for very long. And even still, it is only a few more days until vaccinations and dewormifications and all that permit he and Sunny to spend all their days together in puppytumbling bliss.



I have been trying to get him to walk on a leash but he belly flops down and lays there with both his front and back legs dragging behind him. Thats fine because I am married, and married to a man at that, but even my HUGE GLITTERY RING and my WIFELY BUN aren't enough to ward off the hordes of women who use OWEN as an excuse to try to get into my pants every time we go out in public. Ladies, Please!

So we'll leave the walking for later. In the meantime I've taught him to sit with both verbal and hand cues, given together and separately. (You should see how well he sits! Who would have thought a sit could be executed so cutely! The women at the video store swooned and fainted from affectation when his tininess sat down crisply for a cookie.) This afternoon we began with the 'down' command. He is a eager and willing learner but with the attention span of, well, a ten week old infant. I keep the sessions short but even five minutes at his age is pushing the limits. I am in no rush.

If Owen has lot to learn I clearly have more. There are no less ten (10) puppy books around here... three on the floor next to me, one on a stack of papers I need to file away, one opened up spine down on the breakfast table, two in my bag, one in the car, one on the couch and two next to the bed... how many is that? Doesn't matter. Two were birthday gifts and the rest are dog-eared library books, one which has clearly been gnawed on by needle sharp puppy teeth and one of which will turn me into a dog psychic thereby solving issues like separation anxiety by teaching me, among other things, how to create a psychic golden thread connecting our hearts across the baby gate and through the remote work day.

Anyway, My birthday was EHH, ANOTHER YEAR. My run alone was exceptional. I asked Clark to drop me off at the top of Mt Tabor and I ran all around south east Portland. Next year I expect Owen will be running along side me, if I can ever get him to agree to the leash.

birthday run

No comments:

Archives

About Me