Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Ride The Rogue + Death

At the lunch rest stop on my recent century bike ride with my dad I heard from another rider that a man had suffered a heart attack around mile 14 and that he had died. Later in the day a volunteer at a different rest stop told me she had not heard whether the man had lived or died but confirmed that a rider had indeed had a heart attack.

I decided to not post anything about the incident because not only had I heard only rumors, but also because I never did see any ambulances or ride through any commotion, deathly or otherwise. Long distance bicycle rides tend to have an open start line and people begin riding when they are ready to ride within that half hour to hour long window. Chances are I was ahead of the rider who did or did not die and so did never see him dying or not dying.

I am only writing about it now because I have been getting several visitors a day who find this blog by Googling "Ride The Rogue Death" or "Ride The Rogue Man Dies" or something of that general nature. When I got home that weekend I too checked the web and the websites of all the local papers for some word about what happened and nothing nothing nothing came up. So I never mentioned it. It is apparent to me now that someone may have actually suffered a fatal heart attack, either that or we all heard the same rumor at lunch from some bastard wearing tight black shorts.

I cant really say that dying on a bike is better or worse then dying any other way. I suspect my judgment would be unfounded. I don't know anything about dying except that it is what we all do anyway and are all doing all the time. The day was lovely for dying, as well as for living. And that is my insipid platitude on the matter.

I don't know anything more about the mysterious heart attacked dier, if he died as alleged or if he survived. Maybe you can enlighten me. My condolences to his friends and family if that is the case. It is never easy to lose someone you love.

No comments:

Archives

About Me