Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Somnambulant verging on thanatotic

9pm tonight. I am totally exhausted and more then ready for bed. This is absurd and almost totally unheard of: I have gone to bed before 930pm maybe 3 times since high school. Without exaggeration. However for the last week or so I have been struck with a persistent insomnia and cannot sleep for more then an hour or two at a time.

Additionally I am training for a 10 mile run in only two and a half weeks, and the concurrence of the QE and its all encompassing prohibition (now finished with) has forced me to reckon with the little time left before race day. In hyper-overtrain mode I have run over 50 miles in the last 10 days, with two days off... 28 of those miles were in the last four days. Tonight I am exhaustion compounded.

This afternoon I ran down a long straight and empty pathway left to me, a few springtime birds, and the occasional hobo. I tried to think about my perspective, which is what I am told I should write about but all I can encompass is two narrow parallel lines, the horizon line, wind in my face and the muscular exhaustion all the way up my thighs.

I am so tired, yet still I am tempted to take a sleeping aid... not melatonin which I took a fistful(3) of last night to no avail... but maybe that good old store brand drug that simply pulls the plug. Nothing herbal or assistive about that. I am so tired I hate to think I might wake up in an hour or two just to stare at the maple branches out the window and sing quiet songs.

Pray for my sleep.

No comments:

Archives

About Me