Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Vitamin D




I have to say with a great arrogance that I have heretofor not borne that I nailed that Tom Kah soup with secret ingredients and the knowing of great depths to which I will mine the hearts of sick friends.

We thought the floods were abating, and in the meantime the rain still falls. My schedule, part weakness, makes the roads unrunnable and heavier with traffic then I can bear to breathe. I have been in the gym everyday lately and know now that my love of running has little to do with my desire to be physically fit because I can run 8 miles in the vast wilderness, yet not strain like I do against the challenges of cablebarmotors. I am totally weak. I am going to die with fifty inch quads and English-teacher underarms. You know what I mean.


My latest food fetish, which must be a winter thing so fetishized with food I am, is the Thousand Year Old Egg. This passion I must say I am trying to nip quickly reading the cholesterol in one egg is 117% a daily allowance.


Title: PRESERVED DUCK EGGS (THOUSAND YEAR OLD EGGS)
Categories: Eggs, Chinese
Yield: 12 servings

2 c Tea, very strong black
1/3 c Salt
2 c Ashes of pine wood
2 c Ashes of charcoal
2 c Fireplace ashes
1 c Lime*
12 Duck egg, fresh

*Available in garden stores and nurseries.

Combine tea, salt, ashes and lime. Using about 1/2 cup
per egg, thickly coat each egg completely with this
clay-like mixture. Line a large crock with garden soil
and carefully lay coated eggs on top. Cover with more
soil and place crock in a cool dark place. Allow to
cure for 100 days. To remove coating, scrape eggs and
rinse under running water to clean thoroughly. Crack
lightly and remove shells. The white of the egg will
appear a grayish, translucent color and have a
gelatinous texture. The yolk, when sliced, will be a
grayish-green color.

To serve, cut into wedges and serve with:

Sweet pickled scallions or any sweet pickled vegetable

Sauce of 2 tablespoons each vinegar, soy sauce and
rice wine and 1 tablespoon minced ginger root.






fuck

No comments:

Archives

About Me