Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Faith In Mankind

Is extinction such a bad option? Are we really so afraid of death? We are all going to die in case any one of you should forget. How much do we have to endure before conditions scare the shit out of us collectively, cause they already scare the shit outta me. This is the classic boiling frog scenario. If you drop a frog into a pot of boiling water it will do everything in its power to get the hell out of the pot but if you put a frog in a cool pot of water on a low heat it will be stupified by the time the temperature reaches boiling.

Everything has gone to shit. Don't you see this? Everything is a medical event. Everyone is depressed, and overweight and cannot for the life of them trace the cause/effect relationship much less dissect it into meaningful information. Birth is a pathology, male and female libidos can be regulated with pills now, we cant digest our food or drink our water. The forests are monoculture, the fish are farmed, icecaps melting, nonindigenous species are destroying delicate habitat, the Great Barrier Reef is disappearing, topsoil is so over-cultivated with non-rotated crops that there is no nutritional value in our foods...

And I am so disgusted by self-interest I cant even crack a smile these days. What a foul species we are. Cheap people make me feel queasy, greed makes me feel out-right nauseous, and while poverty makes me feel anxious (its true cause I am a poor sap) I wouldn't trade it for the delirium of wealth, not in this day and age. I wish there were stronger words.

If we truly want to clean up the political process we need to improve on two points. Only two.

1. Conflict Of Interest- Vigilance on this simple principle would clean almost all the filth out of the game.

2. Logical Fallacies - Good lord, if we don't start teaching ourselves how to recognize fallacious reasoning we have no chance. There is so much debate out there that sure, sounds good on the surface, but when approached academically, thoughtfully and logically (which is your fucking duty in a democracy you fucking boogans) often falls apart.

I wish this didn't get complicated here. But listen, your access to information and the world of ideas is unprecedented. Don't let this be pearls before swine. What you can learn right here on the internet is limited only by your imagination and your ability to qualify the information in regards to its source.

For example, you might not necessarily take for gospel the Science of Forest Management from a Weyerhaeuser website.

What I am trying to sell you is a decoder ring, and I want you to take the time to read what seems to be a lugubrious treatise on abstract thought but in reality is the basic text on how to think.

For example, I have this dear friend who is given to fits of uninhibited vitriolic criticism of this administration, and though passionate and righteous, she is not only dead wrong, but is annoying and not doing her cause any justice when she says things like GEORGE BUSH OWNS ALL THOSE GODDAMNED COMPANIES ANYWAY (referring to Halliburton, Bechtel, Titan, Northrup Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Globecomm Systems, DynCorp, Carlyle Group ... etc.)

Emotionally she may be on the right track...You could generously consider her argument to be a loose acknowledgement of the Iron Triangle.

ON HER BEHALF, THE FOLLOWING ARGUEMENT:
***Dwight D. Eisenhower, upon leaving the office of president in 1961, warned against the dangers of a MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX and the GRAVE IMPLICATIONS of the CONJUNCTION OF AN IMMENSE MILITARY ESTABLISHMENT AND A LARGE ARMS INDUSTRY. He went on to presciently (oh god if he only know how so) say, IN THE COUNCILS OF GOVERNMENT, WE MUST GUARD AGAINST THE ACQUISITION OF UNWARRANTED INFLUENCE, WHETHER SOUGHT OR UNSOUGHT, BY THE MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX. THE POTENTIAL FOR THE DISASTROUS RISE OF MISPLACED POWER EXISTS AND WILL PERSIST. WE MUST NEVER LET THE WEIGHT OF THIS COMBINATION ENDANGER OUR LIBERTIES OR DEMOCRATIC PROCESS

And Franklin Roosevelt said did during World War II, I DON'T WANT TO SEE A SINGLE WAR MILLIONAIRE CREATED IN THE UNITED STATES AS A RESULT OF THIS WORLD DISASTER. Oh man what would he have thought of this?***

However, (all asides aside) the biggest obstruction we face on these two points is our desperate and pathetic penchant to seek easy solutions to complex problems, in deadly combination with that American myth of individualism.

What am I trying to say? Why cant I put coherent thoughts together. Have you been wondering why my writing has been so cosmetic that I only write about the weather lately? I can't own up to how angry I am.

Anyway, I miss the hell outta Sam.

And when Anita saved me from a slug invasion (did I mention that slugs make me retch and cry?) I realized that I loved her like family.


slug


Just a little kiss before I toss you into the bushes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad to see you didn't actually put salt on the poor slugs, if only thanks to Anita. After all, like Tina Turner said, "What's slugs got to do with it?"

Beyond that....LOVE your rant. I'm linking to that one. God, woman... you can write. Mmmmmmm....

Archives

About Me