Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Barefoot BBQ

Labor Day. Thank you Laborers, to you this day of rest.

Above the time clock Boos tacked up a note to say all staff must come, All U Can Eat BBQ, an American phrase he picked up along the way. And just to be contrary I felt like saying NO, but curiosity got the better of me. Pim gripped my arm and said LETS GO FOR JUST A LITTLE WHILE PLEEESE cause they are lovers and she doesn't want to go, but cant not go and play with his daughters and see his wife cooking in their kitchen. I don't know how she can do it.

So we took his older daughter, age 5, to the park and slid on our bellies and climbed the wrong way up the slide and I taught her to think like a rock so that no matter how hard I tried I
couldn't lift her end of the teeter-totter till I taught her to think like a feather.

The Thai language sounds impossibly complex to me. A would-be linguist, I don't even understand the technical complexities of my own language. It brings on an Existential weakness
in the knees to think about all the things I don't know, don't understand.

My life is vividly lacking in sweetness lately and though I fancy that my spiritual path lies on Ferris wheels and in berry patches there is nary a whimsical notion on the horizon. I WANNA BE IN GODS COUNTRY.

1 comment:

someone said...

you are. How's tomorrow morning? 10?

Archives

About Me